My Zimbio
Top Stories

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Tsunami relief mission - firsthand report email..

I'm leaving this email just as iI received it ..
deexxoo
-----Original Message-----
From: Beverly Root [mailto:bevroot@msn.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 10:50 PM
To: Barbara Foerster
Subject: Re: Tsunami

> I hope you can find some worth in the mumble-jumble below.  I simply cut
> and
> paste from an email I sent to a friend in NJ.
>
> Take care, hombre
>
> Gabe
>
>
> While missing home is awfully distracting, staying focused on the job is
> not
> difficult. Flying requires the pilot's full attention. Also, these
> missions
> are incredibly rewarding. Who wouldn't want to wake up early knowing
> that
> they may deliver as much as 50,000 lbs of food/water to the tsunami
> victims?
>
> 2. This environment of destruction is shocking to everyone. Some of the
> salty guys have seen bodies floating in the water before, but nobody has
> seen this many. There's been a few missions where I'm flying around
> looking
> for a town to deliver food. I get to the town -- or at least what's
> supposed
> to be a town. All that's left is rubble and foundation -- no buildings,
> no
> trees, and no roads. After we circle the former town for couple minutes
> ....
> people start to emerge.
>
> 3. I do not miss the Persian Gulf. It's too hot and humid.
>
> 4. The force of the water must have been tremendous. Whole cities are
> leveled. Literately. Trees are on their sides -- laying flat, like
> tossed
> deck of cards. Bridges are gone. Boats and ships are beached -- some
> upside
> down.
>
> 5. You ask if I miss the shores of San Diego. Of course I do. Sometimes
> when
> we're flying up and down the coast of Indonesia, I see a good set of
> waves.
> For a fleeting second I think, "I wish I had my surfboard here." And
> then, I
> hear one of the crewmen say, "I just saw another dead body." This
> environment is surreal -- it's so beautiful, and yet so devastated.
>
> 6. One morning when I was getting ready to launch, there was an
> aftershock... rumor had it that it measured 8.0. I planned for the worst
> that day. No big waves came -- thank God.
>
> 7. The children are my favorite to watch when we drop off food and
> water.
> The children are so happy. They jump up and down. They wave. They give
> peace
> signs. They smile so big. The run to the helo... they try to carry bags
> of
> rice that are twice as big as they -- and they succeed! The other day I
> had
> a group of young children cheering "America! America! America" as they
> danced in front of my window. When we take-off out of LZs (landing
> zones)
> the children like to do kart-wheels because the rotor wash blows them
> over.
>
> The adults are also thankful -- but I can see the pain in their eyes.
> They
> know that after the excitement of our helo drops wait years of recovery.
> I've seen the adults get physical as they compete for the food. It's
> terribly sad. You may have seen on ABC yesterday/today now rowdy the
> crowd
> gets when we off-load food/water/supplies.
>
> 8. For the most part, the crowds are cooperative and thankful. When the
> local military (TNI) are present, our off-loads are pretty easy. The
> local
> military keeps good order -- I'm impressed by their professionalism.
> When
> there's no TNI, we're really cautious. Without the military, basic human
> nature takes over. The Indonesian people are trying to survive -- the
> demand
> for supplies is high and the assets are limited. On rare occasion, the
> people get a bit our of control. I've already experience the limit of my
> comfort. If it gets uncomfortable, we simply close the doors to the
> helo.
> That sends a signal to the people that we'll leave if they don't
> cool-off.
> If they continue to be unruly, then we simply take-off and drop
> elsewhere.
>
> . My mission is to help the victims of the tsunami. I'm best at helping
> by
> delivering food, water, medical supplies, and doctors to the victims. I
> also
> help by medevacing or relocating those in need. We pickup our supplies
> primarily from Banda Aceh. We then fly the supplies to the villages.
> Most of
> the time we land to empty the helo. There have been a few times when
> we've
> had to do hover transfers because the ground is too muddy to land on. On
> one
> occurrence, we did a hover transfer because the only open area was
> someone's
> farm, and I didn't want to damage the crop.
>
> 4. Describe what I see? This is tough. I haven't taken time to really
> reflect on what I've seen. Imagine if someone asked you to describe a
> nightmare. You'd probably rather not. Bodies are floating in the
> ocean...
> along the coast -- 75 miles out to sea -- the death and destruction is
> everywhere. The medevacs are the most difficult missions. One time, we
> filled the helo with 16 people -- more than half were critical medevacs.
> People carried their loved-ones in blankets as make-shift stretchers to
> my
> aircraft. I had a toddler burned all over and her mother burned on half
> her
> body -- I couldn't imagine their story. My crewchief had brought a few
> stuffed animals from donators on our ship. He gave the burned child a
> stuffed animal. She smiled.
>
> It's difficult to describe what I see without describing how I feel. I
> feel
> proud to be helping. The first day I was here was the most productive
> day of
> my life. My second day's missions were even more productive than the
> first.
> As a team we are becoming increasingly more efficient at helping the
> Indonesian people. While I see destruction and pain as the backdrop to
> our
> missions, I also see the best of mankind. I see an effective
> international
> movement to help the sick, starving, and homeless. I'm proud to be
> affecting
> positive change.
>
> The first couple days were difficult to navigate from the helo. We were
> using pre-tsunami charts. Those charts are near worthless for coastal
> navigation. Where there used to be towns along the coast, there's now
> ocean
> -- or in some cases, where there used to be blocks and blocks of
> buildings,
> only the foundations remain.
>
> As far as supplies are concerned: Clothing is not the first priority.
> Think
> of your hierarchy of needs.... medical, water, food, shelter... that's
> what
> we're working towards. Clothing? Clothing is more like next month.
>
> 5. The people we're helping are primarily in remote locations. I say
> remote
> because what used to be towns/cities are now gone. Maybe these people
> were
> once part of a bigger city -- but the city is gone now.
>
> 6. I fly the MH-60S Knighthawk. It's the Navy's newest helicopter. We
> can
> deliver about 5,000 lbs of cargo to the remote locations. That's a lot
> more
> than any of the other helos out here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to
> report
> numbers to you, so for now, just know that what my team of 2 helos have
> delivere is comparable to 10 of the other helos in the past 5 days. My
> helo
> is the best out there for this mission -- it's only weakness is that it
> can
> only fly for about 2 hours before it needs more fuel.
>
>
 

+++++++

Stay in your heart. Regardless of what happens, stay in your heart.

http://www.heavenlyhands.net/terrislinks.html

http://globalrumblings.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Day Weight Loss Pills

Popular Posts

URGENT - Your LIBERTY at RISK


GET A GROUPON!


Curious about what the future holds? Click here to find out how you can receive a 10 minute psychic reading from Psychic Source.

Calculator-1.com - The Best Free Online CalculatorŠ½

Fine Art - Painting Lessons: Real Art!
What is Bio-Farming? Can anyone do it?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CURRENT MOON
My Zimbio
Top Stories
 
My Zimbio
Top Stories Get 100 FREE Visitors to Your Website!
eXTReMe Tracker
AyurCat for Cat Health Care